30/60/90 mins ~ £28/£48/£68*
Pregnancy massage can be a wonderful way to help alleviate common symptoms of pregnancy whilst also offering physical and emotional support for the expectant mother. No longer considered just a treat, the benefits of pregnancy massage go above and beyond helping just the aches and pains that go hand-in-hand with pregnancy. Through nurture and relaxation tiredness is eased, nausea can be alleviated and you may find you get a better night’s sleep.
BENEFITS OF PREGNANCY MASSAGE:
- Having a regular massage can help to heighten your awareness of your own body and of your baby growing inside you.
- Massage offers relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs
- The massage strokes and meditative techniques can help reach an inner calmness to help de- stress and relax. This is very important throughout your pregnancy and especially when it comes to labour as studies show that high levels of maternal cortisol (the stress hormone) may lead to complications throughout pregnancy and birth.
- Massage helps to reduce stress on weight-bearing joints
- Breathing techniques that are used during a massage can calm your nervous system, creating a sense of grounding and of self-control.
- Stimulated circulation of blood throughout your body can distribute essential nutrients to all your vital organs especially the placenta, the source of nourishment for your baby.
- Massage also encourages the release of relaxin into the blood stream, relaxing the intrauterine ligaments, helping to soothe those aching pelvic joints and other sources of discomfort that are experienced during pregnancy.
- The endorphins released during a massage will help you relax in body and in mind, giving you a natural high which is passed on and shared with your baby. This can also help to relieve depression or anxiety caused by the huge hormonal changes taking place in the body.
- Through nurture and promotion of the parasympathetic mode by massage tiredness can be eased, the digestion system can be optimised and our immune system functioning to the max.
- Increasing the blood and lymph circulation by massage can help to reduce and ease any swelling
WHAT TO EXPECT
Both the Antenatal and Postnatal treatments are floor based treatments involving positioning the mother on her side, with pillows and bolsters for extra support, ensuring maximum comfort and safety. Post birth, the massage can be done while your baby is next to you on the floor.
We know that every mother and every pregnancy is different so each session will be tailored individually to the mother’s needs. Depending on where you are in your pregnancy, different massage techniques may be used such as;
- Swedish Massage movements, characterized by the use of five basic stroke techniques: effleurage, petrissage, friction, tapotement and vibration.
- Deep tissue massage to helps to break down hardened bands of tissue, relieving pain and restoring movement,
- Lymphatic drainage to assist your body in clearing sluggish tissues of waste and swelling.
- Shiatsu Energy Releasing holds – Using pressure, touch and manipulative techniques to stimulate energy channels, aiming to unblock any stuck energy
- Mobilisation techniques to help attain a normal range of pain-free joint motion
- Exercises to help improve your muscle tone, strength and endurance
- Breathing techniques to help relax you, help you cope during labour, and provide your body and baby with more oxygen
Neal’s Yard Almond oil is used** as a base oil which is full of Vitamin A, B, D and E. It also contains Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium, Iron and lots of Omega 3, which is perfect for the pregnant or postnatal woman, as the body will readily accept these plant oils, absorbing the nutrients through the skin. It also keeps the skin soft, smooth and hydrated, ideal for all types of skin!
Our aim is to support you physically and emotionally by promoting calmness, restoration of the body and help to encourage a sacred connection with your baby.
30/60/90 mins ~ £28/£48/£68
Caring for your body postpartum and beyond is equally as important as looking after your body when you are expecting. Post- natal Massage at Bath Pregnancy Massage can help with easing out tension and relieving aches to help you get back to ‘normal’ again. It can also be an opportunity to take time out simply to relax. While you enjoy the massage your new-born can lie next to you enabling you to enjoy this time together.
BIRTH PREPARATION SESSIONS
2 hours ~ £90
This popular session helps to prepare the Mother and Birth Partner for the arrival of the newborn. During this session we work on various massage techniques that can be used during labour and how to adjust these techniques in different positions and in varying circumstances, we know first hand that labour doesn’t always go the way you expect it to! Work is also done with various accupressure points that are helpful during labour, and can incorporate breathing techniques also if requested.
This session is particularly empowering for the Birth Partner as they can leave with the ability and knowledge to offer relief to the Mother during contractions and birth.
2 hours ~ £90
The perfect opportunity to spend a bit of quality time with each other with the added benefit of learning the physical skills of massage. During these fun and relaxed sessions a massage routine can be taught to the Partner to aid pain relief and tension felt throughout pregnancy, all individually tailored to meet the needs of the mother.
Depending on your needs and interests you may want to be taught a simple back or perhaps a foot routine.You will be shown how to identify points of tension in the body and how to relieve them.
*please see price list **other options are available